How to make pancakes:
- 4tbsp plain flour (about 100g)
- 1 large free range egg
- ½ pint semi-skimmed milk + water (about 300ml – ¾ milk ¼ water)
- Pinch of salt
- Butter for frying
How to make pancake:
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the mixture
- Break in the egg and stir to make a breadcrumby mix
- In a jug add 1/3 of a pint of milk and top up with water to make 1/2 a pint (200ml milk, 100ml water) – this makes a lovely light batter. Add the milk + water mix bit by bit, beating constantly to avoid lumps.
*if you have a food processor just throw all the ingredients in and zap until smooth!
- Pop a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add a large knob of butter (roughly 50g) and melt.
- Pour the excess butter into a small bowl and reserve it for later
- Using a ladle pour a spoonful of the pancake batter into the hot pan and swirl to get a full covering – cook for about 1 min each side (it’s ready when it’s easy to flip over)
- Serve immediately with sugar and lemon or other exciting toppings